The blog that almost wasn't

Posted by Max02 | | Posted On Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 11:01 AM
Bookmark and Share

Ok, so as I was reading over all the people's blogs I've followed, I came to the conclusion that I needed to finally post an actual blog of my own.

Naturally, I began to think of something(s) I could talk about. I didn't know if I wanted to post something deep and serious or light and funny, or weird and strange, or something in between. This is what I came up with.

How this blog almost wasn't:

I decided that I would blog after I walked over to the church building for my guitar and some CD's. (FYI: I work for my church as an intern worship leader). So I left the office, walked across the street, got my guitar and was about to leave the building when I went to turn the light off. Thanks to my absentmindedness or the fact that I try to rush through things, I tried to flip the light switch off without looking at it. This resulted in a few failed attempts. I didn't actually get the light off until I looked back at the switch to find out where it was, a good two inched from my blind, groping fingers. This got me thinking, I need to keep my eyes on the prize, so to speak. It reminded me of the many, many times I've attempted something, spiritual or otherwise, and halfway through the project I'm looking at something else, getting distracted, or losing focus. As I was thinking of a few instances to relate to you, the world at large, the thought occurred to me, you don't know anything about me, really.

I then began thinking of the possible, allowable things I would want to tell you about me: how I work at the church, I'm 24, live in Brownsville, TX, I'm recently married, my wife is awesome and feeds me wonderfully awesome food. All good things you might not have wanted to know, but would have read anyways.

This train of thought led me to wonder, how many times do I actually tell my wife she's wonderful and amazing? I have this problem: compliments don't come easily to me. I blame my father, in part; he has the same problem. Because of this, I make it a point to have something nice to say (I of course always want to mean it, sometimes I don't, is that bad?).

Anyways, so as I thought of this new idea for a post, it hit me, we're so A.D.D. I've never considered myself truly A.D.D. Sure I get distracted sometimes and can't focus, but I'm still able to function regularly. This thought then made me wonder how many people around the world, specifically Americans with our media saturated lives, struggle with semi-A.D.D.

We're all so used to camera angles that only last 30 second, music that ends in 3 minutes, and hundreds of radio stations, TV channels, and the web to keep our attentions. It was a pretty exhausting thought process.

Images flashed through my mind with all these thoughts; my guitar, the light switch, my life, my wife, my bible was in there somewhere, food my wife has made recently, clips of Heroes, Eli Stone, Grey's Anatomy and Ugly Betty, you get the picture.

So I sat back down on my computer and decided that, instead of posting about one of these topics in any depth, I'd settle for giving you a glimpse of how my mind works sometimes. Hope you had fun.

Do you ever have thoughts like that? How does your brain function?

Comments:

There are 2 comments for The blog that almost wasn't